Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Obama-Palin Smack down

I stopped watching the evening news after their Katrina coverage, which I found self serving and incompetent and deserving of every meaningless award the networks gave each other. But I won't go into that now. Suffice to say I haven't watched in a long time.

Yesterday a friend and Hillary supporter told me ABC's Charlie Gibson would be interviewing Gov. Palin. I actually like Gibson (and the other anchors) I just don't trust him (or them). In any case, I turned into the Nightly News to find out when that interview might be. That's when I saw Sen. Obama make that "putting Lipstick on a pig" comment. Now, I did not think they showed the comment because they thought it was a moldy old cliche that no one would associate with Sarah Palin. They do not pick their sound bites on the basis of how cliched and boring they are -- unless it is a Republican making them.

Then tonight they reported on the controversy that grew out of the story -- and Sen. Obama's indignant reaction -- as if it was a moldy old cliche that no reasonable person would associate with Sarah Palin. Except that many in the audience cheered because they did. It was good to see how Sen. Obama soldiered on through the hysterical response of his listeners. Apparently every cliche he utters is greeted with hoots and hollers. I wonder if Sen. Obama has the feeling his attacks on Gov. Palin have been counterproductive? Perhaps his intention is to build up the audience for her interview, hoping ABC will do the right thing by her -- or rather to her. I wouldn't count on it. They may be in the process of changing sides (why go down with Barack's barge?).

Well, I hope I remember to tune in to see the first portion of the Palin interview. I feel I've already had my fill of the network news these last two nights.

The day after Gov. Palin's pick -- all of, what, two weeks ago --my Democrat friend was hitting the Palin family issues, the Governor's lack of experience, and the "investigations" of her in Alaska. After Gov. Palin's excellent convention speech, she was a bit subdued but said, "What can a VP really do?" Yesterday she talked about Palin's opposing abortion in cases of incest and rape. And her general religious beliefs. The Democrats attacks are constantly shifting. It reminds me of that bridge to nowhere Bill Clinton built.

No comments: