Sunday, December 10, 2023

Oh My God, what a Zilla

 Godzilla Suite

The soundtrack to Godzilla, Minus One. I haven't seen the latest but rather like The Suite.

As a Kid in the 1950's I saw one of the early Godzilla movies (maybe the first one) after it had been adapted for the US market. They hired a few Hollywood B movie actors for spliced-in scenes that showed the US as an ally in the fight rather than, oh, let's see -- the cause. The additions didn't improve it. The thing is, even as a kid I was aware of the destruction the US dealt Japan and Japanese civilians.  I didn't know the meaning of the word "metaphor" but I knew it when I saw it. Even before the use of the atomic bomb, the firebombing of Tokyo and other cities took hundreds of thousands of lives.

Ironically, and counterintuitively, the use of the atomic bombs may have saved Japanese lives. If the US invaded many would have died on both sides and if the US had blockaded Japan many would have starved (the US actually sent food aid to Japan after the surrender).

Perhaps the Japanese have decided that "living well" is the best revenge. Then again, it's a dish best-served cold.

No comments: